Thursday, 20 January 2011

Choices.

We got "the talk" today- not that talk, that was years ago, no, the;
"you may think you have two years to make a choice but in all reality your Ucas applications needs to be in this time next year and if you fail your AS levels you will fail in life" talk.
I feel very stressed- Thing is I invariably flit between wanting a Gap year because I do not feel old enough to go to university, or wanting to do an apprenticeship in something artsy, or Flirting with Journalism.
However something I do keep coming back to is Midwifery, Except I would have to take another subject to gain something relevant to the course- do a foundation degree and go into NHS hospitals which, to be honest, I'm not comfortable in, what really interests me is Home births and Hypnobirthing but you need to go through a whole lot to get there.
I don't know.
I am not yet seventeen- how do I know what I want to do for the rest of my life?- And with things the way they are, I could (hopefully) only afford to do this once- if I get in that is.
I feel pressure like a ton of bricks on my shoulders.
pressure.
I took a sporadic dusting of subjects with no end goal in mind- just cus.
English Language, RE- philosophy and ethics and Art, none scream midwife or Journalist.
Does anyone have any experience in any of these none to eloquently put fields?
Loves,

5 comments:

Izzy said...

Even though it not might feel like it at the time, failing AS levels isn't as bad as it seems. I did terribly in a couple of my AS subjects, all of which I needed for uni, but I managed to pass and get through to A2 year so I just did resits of my AS modules to boost my overall AS marks. Even then, if you don't do as brilliantly as you'd hoped chances are the offers you get are higher than what the uni expects you to get - I was told I needed AAB for my first choice uni, but I only got ABCC and was still automatically accepted onto my course. And if it comes to it there's always clearing, you might not end up exactly where you wanted but you might end up somewhere better. Things will work out, keep on working hard and you can achieve anything you want to :)

As for deciding which course to do... my college offered me a the Centigrade test (http://www.coa.co.uk/) which I found pretty useful, it really helped narrow down the options and made me think a lot more about what I wanted to do after uni.
Going to uni is such a good experience, it's taught me a lot about myself. Plus you get to live away from home and be completely independent without all the pressures of adult life :P

Wife Of A Salesman said...

I can't really give you a straight up answer but maybe this will help.

I will be 36 years old this year, I plans when I was your age. Plans to go in a certain direction, plans on how to get there. (think Chemical Engineer at a large facility changing the world through alternative energy).

I made a choice to get married at 18 years old, all my plans changed. My career went from, office worker to stay at home mom, to stay at home mom private piano teacher to part time day care working stay at home mom, to full time working at a police department full time mom!

I love what I do for work, I love being a mom, I love my husband and I would never trade that young marriage for all the plans that I made in my youth.

Things change, circumstances change, make plans but be flexible, watch for oportunities take them when they come, learn as much as you can about yourself.

Try to find something you love, if it loves you back, never let it go. Determine what is most important to you, money, time, core beliefs, people, creating, being recognized. Once you have determined your motivation I believe it will be easier to determine your direction. My motivation is family; children, spouse, extended, thus my focus is also family.

Good luck to you, and remember you can ALWAYS change your mind!

Sarah said...

These are humungous decisions placed on young shoulders. I remember being 17 and having to decide what to do with the rest of my life. I chose a job instead of a career.

Choose a career. Choose what drives you, what inspires you. Keep trying things out until you find that. You can always change your major.

If midwifery is something that you are passionate about, then remind yourself that NHS training is a necessary evil and it will pass.

No matter what you do, you have a bright and sunny future ahead of you! Sending good energy your way :)

Sammi said...

I think English language and Philosophy is a pretty good basis for journalism. You can take media studies as well if you want?

Uhmm.... I totally backed off at your age & decided not to go to uni, too much pressure. I say take a gap year, apply for both and defer a year. Have you got a careers counsellor, or how is your Mom with this? They could point you in a better direction.

Or you don't have to go to uni at all... I hate to ask this question because I never know how to answer it myself, but where do you see yourself in five years time?

Sammi said...

Oh yeah, and AS Levels are not the be all and end all those teachers make it out to be, you can catch yourself up in the second year of sixth form.... At my school we could do and AS and A level along side each other in yr13 if we'd really fucked up the first year.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...